Christmas 2012 was our first nut free Christmas. Although obviously we weren’t intending to ply our 2-year-old with alcohol, in the interests of preserving a nut free home, we wondered which alcoholic drinks were now off limits for us.
After perusing several forums, I decided to start to compile a list of alcoholic drinks which contain nuts. Where I have been able to verify this information against, for example, the manufacturer’s website, I have included a link.
- Some gins (including Beefeater and Bombay Sapphire) – Almond
- Almond sparkling wine – Almond
- Amaretto (brandy) – Almond
- Amadeus (liqueur) – Almond
- Bellota (liqueur) – Acorn
- Castries Peanut Rum Crème (liqueur) – Peanut
- Charbay Nostalgie (liqueur) – Black walnut
- Creme d’amande (liqueur) – Hazelnut
- Creme de noix (liqueur) – Hazelnut and walnut
- Creme de noyaux (liqueur) – Hazelnut
- Dirty Squirrel (beer) – Hazelnut
- Dumante (liqueur) – Pistachio
- Eblana (Irish whiskey) – Almond, peanut
- Frangelico (liqueur) – Hazelnut
- Galliano (liqueur) – Almond
- Glayva (Scotch whisky) – Almond
- Hazelnut Brown Nectar (beer) – Hazelnut
- Kahana Royale (liqueur) – Macadamia
- Kazkar Feni – Cashew
- Macadamia Nut Honey wine – Macadamia
- Nocello (liqueur) – Walnut and hazelnut
- Nocino (liqueur) – Walnut
- Old School Peanut Flavoured Vodka – Peanut
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Vodka – Peanut
- Peanut Lolita – Peanut
- Pistachio Cream Ale – Pistachio
- Pistachio Delight Wine (white zinfandel) – Pistachio
- Praline Pecan Liqueur – Pecan
- Ratafia (brandy) – Almond
- Southern Comfort – Tree nuts
- Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale – Pecan
- Trader Vic’s Macadamia Nut Liquor – Macadamia
- Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout – Peanut
Some forum posts indicate that Baileys and Kahlua contain tree nuts. However, the Baileys website (as at 6 February 2013) says:
“None of the ingredients used in Baileys use nut or nut products in their manufacture. On the basis of this and to the best of our knowledge there are no traces of nuts in Baileys. As we are not qualified to give medical advice persons requiring a nut-free diet must consult their medical adviser before consuming Baileys.”
(see Baileys Product Information).
The Kahlua website (again as at 6 February 2013) says:
“Kahlúa Ready-to-Drink products contain dairy, soy beans, and tree nuts. This includes Banana Mudslide, Chocolate Latte, Kappuccino, Original Mudslide, and White Russian. While our other Kahlúa products do not contain any nuts, we cannot guarantee that they were not produced in a plant that uses nuts.”
(see Kahlua Website).
Thankfully though (for me), it appears red wine is still on the menu…
Update (September 2013)
I am also compiling a list of those food manufacturers I have come across which produce at least some nut free products. For more information, see Nut free food.
Update (March 2014)
I’ve spotted that the Food Standards Agency’s Guidance on Allergen Management and Consumer Information states (at page 39) that:
“Nuts used in distillates for spirits and nuts [almonds and walnuts] used [as flavours] in spirits are unlikely to trigger allergic reactions.”
We would still avoid (given “unlikely” could be interpreted as “unlikely… but still might”), however I thought this note from the FSA was worth sharing.